Monday, March 1, 2010

the"Rachel Bag" - for my "purse making" friends

This bag is from the book "Bag Boutique : Making Fabulous Purses and Totes" by Amy Barickman, Indygo Junction Design Team. The purse is really fun and pretty quick to put together. The bottom band and inside are made from a gold silk, the body of the bad is a home dec remnant I found in my stash. I lined each piece before assembly to give a little more stability to the seam allowances. I have had this fabric for quite some time - just could not decide what to with it. (it kept saying "purse" -but I wasn't listening). I love the patterns in this book, if you are a purse maker, be sure to check it out.
Hint - I use the hard plastic placemats for the bottom liner in my purses and totes. The placemats are easy to cut and give quite a bit of stability for the base and are inexpensive.
Below is a close up of the trim.  This is actually a free w/order from Fire Mountain Gems - worked out great!  If the bag looks a little out of shape  - it is because it is stuffed with tissue paper.  I thought it would help with stability for pic taking.  However - made it look worse - but you get the idea of the bag.  The colors are much bolder than they appear in the pics and the purse has not had the final pressing.  I wait until the day I am ready to deliver for the final pressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment